Looking back in time....

In 2009 I spent a weekend at Mount Maunganui in the Bay of Plenty, and had just started to delv into Landscape photography. Previous to this it was all about running around the outside of sports fields in the rain.

During an early morning run around the mount, I noticed several people heading down from the summit with cameras and tripods in tow.
They had obviously been up to catch the sunrise.
So I thought "hey that sounds like a great idea".
So the following morning I got up at 5am and headed up the mount.

The following image was perhaps one of my best results from what now appears to be a very bad bunch. But at the time I thought they looked cool, however as we progress and strive towards photo perfection, I think it can be a very positive experience to go back over your earlier stuff and study them.
Besides you might surprise yourself :)

Of course it's fair to say that the equipment we use today is certainly assisting us in obtaining quality improvements but you still need to understand the basics and this photo has certainly reminded me of some of the key things to remember.
Canon 450D, 35mm ISO800 F5.6, 3.2secs

So what did I learn from this......

1) Always take a tripod...I left mine back in Auckland.
2) My Positioning.
This image has been heavily cropped at the bottom due to the undulating hill line. So it's important to check out the landscape first before embarking on a shoot, especially one such as a sunrise which can offer a limited capture window.
3) ISO 800, Didn't really have much choice without a tripod and needed to at least give myself the option to be steady for a few seconds.
4) FSTOP, This could have perhaps been a little higher but then again the lens I had was an EFS so my highest was 4.5. 
5)Focal Length, I would most likely go with my wide angle lens these days when dealing with landscapes, doesn't everyone???
6)Lightroom tells me that the original shot was taken using Camera Scene set at Portrait, .....Always check your camera settings before you start :)
7) focus points, zooming in on the image I can clearly see that the primary focus point was the building to the right. In those days it was all Auto focus for me. I would be more inclined to use manual these days and perhaps go for a 9 points across the middle.
8)Bracketing?, possibly but you know me and HDR it's so last decade :)

thoughts and comments anyone



Comments